
For all of us women who work!
This is an excerpt from the July 1943 issue of Transportation Magazine and was written for male supervisors of women in the work force during World War II. The photo was part of the article as well.(Abridged as I had to retype it all from the pdf)
Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees:
1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they're less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn't be doing it...
2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclined to be cantakerous and fussy...
3. General experience indicates that "husky" girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.
4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the company against the possibilities of lawauit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.
5. Stress...the importance of time, the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.
6. Give the female a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they'll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes...
7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.
8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick, and wash her hands several times a day.
9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can't shrug off harsh words the way men do...
10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women. Even though a girl's husband or father may swear vociferously, she'll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.
11. Get enough size variety in operator's uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can't be stressed too much in keeping women happy.
8 comments:
Hi Meriel!! Just wanted to say I loved this article . . .so funny how times has changed. Also we got your repsonse card and CANNOT wait to see you in 5 1/2 weeks!
That was amazing. Being a young, married, "husky" girl myself, I think back then I would have been the perfect candidate.
This is hilarious! I love number 4 and can just imagine a physician saying, "Sorry, this one's got ovaries. She might menstruate, and that could be a problem." I'm glad at my job I have time to wash my hands often, that makes me happy!
I don't get it...
That is fantastic!! I loved it and am totally laughing it up!! Wouldn't want PMS or non-fitting uniforms!! Love it!
Noooooo! I'm dying. I have too many comments to say on each point. Good thing I wasn't around back then. At least they got one thing right, You've got to keep your women happy!
Steph
that was great. I loved it all. I wish more people today in the work place to this more seriously, especially men. but, here, here, to women that work. and by the way, talk about crazy dreams, im sorry your so over worked. you need a relaxing day soon, maybe a massage or something. hey its all about keeping the women happy right.... :) it was really great to see you in UT last week. thanks again for a delicious meal, and catching up. hope your doing well!
OMGosh. Oh, the discussions we could have on this! Open forum please..."there are things to be said"! Maybe we should start a womens-only-blog-forum for womens issues where we can debate cool articles like this one. yiz-zerd?
Post a Comment