Sunday, June 03, 2007

Brand New Digs

When I was a freshman, my friend Sheri made me a wonderful heat/cold pack for those days when you've got those certain aches and pains.

I have used it faithfully for 5 years now and I finally realized that the fabric covering was a little cheezy. I decided to recover it and so I thought I would share with you all the simplicity of making this fantastic heating pad.
I didn't originally make this myself, but I got some instructions from the internet.

1) Get normal long grain rice, uncooked, enough to fill a pack to your satisfaction. I filled up two small ziplocs with the rice that was in mine.
(I think mine is half part rice and half part flax seed with lavender oil, but you can use all rice and whatever scent you prefer. Don't use any quick cooking rice, it will burn in the microwave.)

2) Cut two equal pieces of fabric any size you prefer, mine are 17 x 7 in. (I put a border on mine, but you can just use two whole pieces to make it easy.)

3) sew faces together around three sides and pull inside out when finished.
4) Either sew last end partially, fill with rice , and then sew final section by hand, or fill with rice (moving it all to one side) and sew end closed in sewing machine.
I usually pop mine in the microwave for 2 min. and it comes out hot and ready to put on my lower back. It feels so good!

4 comments:

beck said...

You are so crafty! That's a good idea and so easy. It would be a fun, easy gift to give friends . . . maybe i will try it!

Lane, Amanda, Jackson, and Andrew said...

I love the idea of changing the cover on it. I also got one a few years ago and it needs an update. You have such good ideas! I am going to try it...one of these days!

Lance and Becky said...

That's such a great idea, you always do the cutest things, and it comes so easy to you! I need to make one of these for when I have the baby! I love the idea!

nathan said...

ok so I have always just made these with cute towels- but I like yours with the two fabrics. Very Cute. I LOVE THEM- especially during the winter. Nice heater huh! you guys look so cute and like your doing well!! Happy BIrthday Bart!!