So, I’m not a true blonde, but I definitely have ambition. I would have to say that ambition is a curse for the mediocre. I feel like, and have always felt like I am stuck in a place where I will always be destined for mediocrity in the grand scheme of things. Other than creating life, I’ve never done anything and posses no talent that is truly outstanding. Growing up, I always envied those that had a true talent for things. I didn’t even care what it was; I just wished I was the best at something. I feel like I can do well at most things I try, but never ‘the best’ at anything. I have always had this desire to be something greater than what I am. I wrack my brain for the hidden potential inside of me but I can’t seem to come up with something truly incredible. What can I invent? What business could I start? What talent could I develop? How could I build off what I already do? You know who I feel like? Julie from Julie&Julia. I feel like there are people all around me who do amazing things with their lives and I just live mine doing things at base line. Nothing extraordinary, nothing worthy of praise. Is that weird? What does that say about me? It’s not about having a sense of self-worth, but more about having a sense of accomplishment. I want to feel like I’ve accomplished something important in this lifetime. (Other than raising a family) ;)
I don’t know what made me think of all this, maybe it’s the Olympic spirit that has brought it back to the forefront of my mind.
Here are some things I wish I could do or do better (like ‘inspire people’ better, like ‘make money’ better, like ‘be invited as a guest on Martha Stewart’ better)
Photography
Cooking
Sewing
Story telling
Design
Style
Hair
Budgeting
Teach people
Create things
I need to know, what do I do? How do I motivate myself in the meantime before I do something genius!?
6 comments:
Meems, you are a very talented woman!! I have always thought of you as one of the smartest girls I know, and the amount of precision and focus that you have for the things you do have always amazed me! Spoken from someone that has a very hard time making things look perfect/ focusing on anything for too long/ not giving up when it gets hard, I have always been very impressed with you!!
With all that being said, I think we all feel like this to some degree. There always seems to be an incredible amount of untapped potential, you know? And how could there not be...we are made for such amazing greatness that God has planned for us, that we can't even really imagine! But we feel it, and I think that is the urging we all have in our hearts to be truly GREAT!
I think what you should do is pick two or three things on your list that you want to really focus on (if you do all of them, you will be so tired :) and then just take the leap with a small project, something that you can succeed at. I talked with a life coach once that said this is the key to really flourishing--making an obtainable goal and having success in that, so you want to repeat the process for more successes each time.
Like if you said, that you wanted to be the best, most trusted expert in the world in whatever you pick, that puts a lot of pressure on you right off the bat. But with a smaller goal (like Julie Powell's goal), you are bound to have a good experience and want to have more successes!
Sending hugs and wishes for you to find the part of your heart that makes you sparkle with passion. And keep us posted on your blog with your adventures!
Love ya lady!
Wow, that was a long one!
ok is this even a post? did you really just write all that? meriel- are you amazing at EVERYTHING you do. have you seen isla's room?? do you know that you work for goldman sachs? did you SEE your grades in highschool/college? i have always thought this way about you. how can i be more like meriel? how can i have the patience to sew things and to be so smart i dont have to study to get A's. dont ever say that you are mediocre. ever. love you so much!
Don't underestimate yourself...you have been blessed with many gifts :)
Meems!! Look at me in the blog world! I just started my blog here in Wellington :) www.newzealblog.blogspot.com yay!
I totally know what you are saying in this post. I think that everyone feels that way sometimes (or all the time haha). I feel like I am just waiting for an epiphany that is going to come to me and tell me what I should really be doing! Let's hope we both get one :)
Miss you!
Well, hey, it's good to know that other people feel this way too sometimes! ;) We've all been there! But, you are amazing and from what I've seen, so very talented! Us women are SO hard on ourselves. Someone once said that you should treat yourself as you would treat a good friend... you would NEVER put a friend down as much as you do yourself. Besides, nobody is perfect, even Martha Stewart got locked up! ;)
Post a Comment