Thursday, July 16, 2009

6 weeks and counting!

So we have 6 weeks left. Wow, that’s crazy. I can’t believe that I have 42 days until my new due date and only 23 days until I leave work. We went to our childbirth class last Saturday and it was so overwhelming in a good and bad way. I wasn’t surprised by a lot of what they talked about but ~8 hours of labor talk can make anyone, especially someone 8 months pregnant, a little queasy! I’m really glad we went because I think it helped Bart prepare for the moment so much and that helped me stand reassured that he would know how to handle it and more importantly, how to handle me.

So we have a scheduled C-section for the moment, not by choice, although I am warming up to the idea slowly. I would love for anyone’s advice, especially if you had a positive experience with it!! Baby girl is breech, very breech, like so breech her head is literally in my ribs. Ugh! Pain! And she has shown no sign of flipping ever, so the doctor said we should just schedule the surgery (August 27th) and then see what happens. We’ve known from the start that with the shape of my uterus and her single umbilical artery issue that this would be a very likely case, so I’ve never excluded it as an option, but it has made whatever ‘birth plan’ I can think of totally moot since I feel like it’s out of my hands.

If she doesn’t flip, and we have to do the surgery, I would love to go in knowing as much as I can to try and make recovery the best it can be. Please tell me any advice you might have and I will love you forever!!!

10 comments:

Heather said...

Hey Meriel,

Remember me?! Jesse's wife! Anyway, I had the exact same situation with our second, Halle. Have they tried a version to try and turn her? It didn't work for me, and I ended up having a C-section. I can tell you the recovery wasn't as bad as I had expected, although it was still harder than a vaginal delivery. And I didn't miss the hours of labor, either! :) I hope everything continues to go well even if end up with a C-seciton. At least, you'll have a baby girl with a perfectly shaped head that way! :)

Heather

Mel said...

You'll do great, Meriel! Do you know Susie Gustafson (Hiatt)? She's had 3 c-sections. Here's her email address: suzhiatt@gmail.com. One thing I've heard is if it's all you know it's not bad at at all, having nothing to compare it to. Everyone I know who's had one has had a good experience with it. You're so close! It'll be so exciting to meet your little girl.

Rachel U said...

here's some advice, change the date to the 19th so i can be there. thanks.

Saric said...

Meems!!
I am soooooo excited and cannot belive it is just 6 weeks away, my advice is this (seeing as I am not pregnant nor have been pregnant) the BEST babies come via C-Section, trust me, I was one of them!
Love
Sarah

Sophia said...

You are on the home stretch meems and i am one month behind you! In retrospect the 9 months seemed to go by fast...
I am so excited to meet her!!

La said...

Hi Meems
This is Lauren. (Ave's sis in law married to Danny.) I had a c-section with my 2nd because he was breech. We tried the version and it didn't work. The one thing about the c-section recovery was that I needed a lot more help the first few days. I couldn't move around as much as I would have wanted. So make sure you have someone around to reach things (like the baby!) and help you lift pretty much anything! Other than that make sure you rest a lot! Even if you think you have done nothing but lay around, you will feel better faster if you rest a lot right after.
Good luck! Can't wait to see pics of your little Isla!
Oh and it is true that c-section babies are much cuter =)

Lane, Amanda, Jackson, and Andrew said...

Hey Meriel!! C-Sections, especially planned ones, are not bad at all. I, also, have nothing to compare it to, but it went pretty well for me. I just loved getting to the hospital and having the baby. Easy-peasy! Just relax and take care of the baby and let everyone else do everything else for you. If you want to talk about anything, or if you need anything, give me a call. We are so excited to meet Isla!!

Ash and Christian said...

Hi there. I am a totally random stranger to you, although Bart and I were friends at BYU and hung out a lot, so hopefully it's not too weird that I'm commenting. (Tell him Ashley Bruce says hi :)

I've had 2 c-sections. The first was after 30 hours of labor, and the second was after 5. I was trying for a VBAC with the 2nd but it just didn't work out.

I have a few friends who have had really really hard vaginal deliveries and recoveries. When they see how easily I'm walking around after a few days it's hard for them to believe. The hospital stay is wonderful. Everyone takes care of everything and they should keep enough drugs in you to keep you comfortable. I agree with Lauren. The first day or two it's hard just to sit up and reach for the baby. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

As far as the actual procedure... it's a little weird to go in with no pain and get the epidural/spinal. But I personally think the IV needle hurts worse. Recovery is a little painful but just take it easy. Your first shower will be the best thing in the world. One thing I would definitely recommend (this is kind of awkward) is super granny panties for the hospital. The first day or two you'll wear these mesh-y type underwear. Since you'll be in the hospital for 4-5 days mostly sitting in bed they can get irritating and itchy. But the seam of what you wear instead will have to go above the incision.

Anyway, hope this helps a little bit. Your blog is darling and I love looking at all your cute projects. Good luck with everything.

p.s. LOVE the name Isla. :)

Anonymous said...

I had a c-section and LOVED it. After all the stress I'd gone through throughout my pregnancy with placenta issues and such, I was grateful to have the baby out in a totally stress-free way. Plus, your family is super-helpful, so they will help you with the recovery, which wasn't bad at all. Oh, and you get to look really good in your after deliver pictures.

Cathy said...

Hi Mer - I had a C-Section with Griff because he was breach and his cord got kinked. The most important thing was that he was safe. The recovery was difficult but Bryan really helped and I obeyed the doctor's orders to the letter! Don't push yourself too hard! Congrats on the sweet baby girl coming your way!