Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Regina and Dancing

Last Friday, Rachel and I got to see Regina Spektor in concert and it was so amazing. It was at In the Venue, formerly known as Bricks, and anyone who has been there knows it's pretty small and lends to more intimate concerts.

She was amazing too! I didn't realize when listening to her that she doesn't do any voice overs or use other people to play the music, she does it all herself and right in the moment. It was pretty cool to see her rocking out playing the piano in one hand, banging a seat with a drumstick in another, using a foot pedal to drum a baseline, and singing. It was really impressive. Plus, her music and lyrics lend themselves well to improv and change, it was so cool. Needless to say, she plays a good concert.

Another thing Rachel and I did was take our first dance lesson in many years yesterday. I was so pleasantly surprised at both how much I remembered and by how well the teacher tought the class. We took a beginning Jazz class to test the waters and wow, I was glad I didn't go on to the intermediate/Adv. level. The teacher was a former cougerette and I think I learned more technique in that one class than in my entire dancing career. It was only an hour and it was mostly 'across the floors', but it was really fun and really tiring. I am very very very sore today.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Glad to see that you're blogging again. I'm catching up on your blog tonight........ Awesome concert! Cut Halloween costume and congrats on the new house. I can't wait to see pictures!!

Love ya,
Love,
Aunt Cath

Marisa said...

That's awesome. I would love to take a beginning dance class again, mostly because I feel like I don't know how to dance at all anymore. Not to mention being totally out of shape in comparison to high school. Where are you guys taking it?

Anonymous said...

I love that you took a dance class. How fun! I want to do that again. I miss dancing, and practicing evefry day, and being really flexible like i once was. I mostly want to take tap lessons again so I don't lose it. Good for you to do that for yourself. Thats why i took up tennis again, it was time to do something for myself. but there are a lot of things I would like to do for myself! i love regina spektor too! how fun that you guys went and saw it. I saw Dashboard confessionals and vanessa carlton at Bricks, back when it was called Bricks. I like how intimate it is like you said. by the way, we should set my brother up with your sister.... shes so cute. How's your home coming along, i want to see pictures :)

Allison said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISS MERIEL! Love you!

the waites said...

Oh im alot jealous of both activities! Love Regina, oh enjoy playing before the kids. As for the dancing, I wish I could find a class where the people taking the class are older then 12

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

So jealous of Regina. I love her.

And I too have been taking Dance classes again with some of my friends. Isn't it fun? It was depressing at first because I thought I was going to go the first time and be like I was in High school, but no! I couldn't do a split leap to save my life. But now I can glide across the floor with much more ease. So fun for you!!