Monday, June 21, 2010

Plymouth Plantation

On Sunday, the 2nd day of our short two-day vacation, we drove down to Plymouth to see Plymouth Rock, the Mayflower replica, and Plymouth Plantation. The Plantation is such a fun site to visit because it's a whole little village built to look exactly like it would have in 1627 when the pilgrims were settled and starting to live as Americans. There are a bunch of 'villagers', paid actors, who pretend to live there and can answer literally any question you might have regarding the pilgrims and their lives back then. It's very impressive and you can seriously have full-on normal conversations with these people about their lives, with the exception of the occasional language differences. They have to speak like they were 1600's people. They do a fabulous job of making you feel like you have just walked into their daily routine.
The fog made the visit even more authentic, I thought. We were so lucky it didn't rain!

Right outside the village, this man was planting 'carn' and trying to keep the 'craws' from getting at the seeds. He had to explain what a craw looked like 'cause I thought he said cow. No, he was talking about the crows.

This woman was making pancakes on the coals in her house. Crazy. I doubt she ate it, but it was still cool to see how someone would have had to cook back then in their small little 1 room houses.

Isla was having a blast because there were chickens and cows and goats all over the place for her to get excited about.

When I was little, we visited the plantation a few times and I wanted to make sure that I got a picture with Isla visiting as well. This is me and my sisters in April of '91. I'm in the middle rockin' the little mermaid tee.


I'm such a sucker for a guided tour so overall, the weekend was such a great trip. We had so much fun!

3 comments:

Miss Mary said...

Wow, that looks awesome! How cool that they dress up and you can observe their daily life. That sounds like so much fun! Love to pic with you and your sisters, awww. You are all three so adorable.

Rachel U said...

wait, how cute is that last pic?? love this!! go america. wish i could have gone with you guys!

Brad Frandsen said...

Ok quit playing and come home so we can squeeze the cheeks off that baby!