Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Going green

Does it bother anyone else that in order for you to 'go green' you have to pay outragious premiums? It makes me laugh when I read magazines and they have special articles and spreads dedicated to greener design and lifestyles. Special organic cotton sheets, $3,000 for the whole bedspread. Recycled wood outdoor table, 2,500. Bamboo towels, 80 each. Really, if they expect anyone to truly go green they are going to have to figure out a way to make them affordable to the general public. FYI- the general public can't afford a $30 16oz bottle of organic and chemical-free dishwashing detergent, no matter how gentle it is to the environment. Oh, and Martha Stewart - I am not building a compost pile under my kitchen sink for nutritious garden soil, I'll stick to miracle grow thank-you-very-much.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Earth and want to do my best to help it, but there needs to be some logical way around being green. Like not charging you to recylce in Utah, that would be a good step. Or don't expect anyone to buy a $40 organic cotton white tee. Let's do what we can for this earth, don't litter and don't be wasteful. Try to steer toward more gas efficient vehicles. Try to support your local organic farmers. I mean, the whole point of natural organic things is so we can be healthier and treat our beautiful Earth better. I'd do it in a heart-beat if I could afford it. But in the mean time, I am not going to feel guilty for buying the cheaper un-green things, because that is just plain economics. Plus, a major reason those things are so expensive, is because companies are capitalizing on it as a specialty item, kind-of like 'vintage' and 'modern'. Now we have 'green'!

4 comments:

Avery said...

I love this post..My struggles and thoughts exactly. I do what I can and am very into 'going green' where I can, but most of it is so darn expensive!! Especially natural baby stuff... it's annoying.

Brad Frandsen said...

So is green the new pink?

the waites said...

AHHH.. Im so glad I saw your blog! Aloha I should say, How the heck are you guys? Dont you miss Hawaii I saw Linsay Lundquist the other day and we just wish we were still there.Anyways you and Bart look adorable and so fun to see your blog.
keep in touch

cait said...

amen sister.