Monday, February 12, 2007

Eloise

Last Wednesday, at our book club, we brought our favorite children's books to share with everyone. It was so great to see everyones tattered old books that have been worn from being read as bedtime stories to siblings over and over again. I brought one of my favorite books from growing up, Eloise. It was a new copy because the old one is at my mom's house, which brings me to think that if there hasn't been a discussion about where all those greats book are now/are going to be in the future, there need to be! Anyway, this book has special meaning to the Holt girls, mostly me and Laurel, because we grew up in Connecticut and went to NYC a lot as kids where we visited the Plaza Hotel as much as we could, or at least every Christmas Eve. (That I can remember!) My mom used to read this book to us and we absolutely loved it! Here are some snippets if you have never read it, but, of course, it can't do it justice without the illustrations

I am Eloise
I am six
I am a city child
I live at The Plaza

I have a dog that looks like a cat
His name is Weenie
Sometimes I put sunglasses on him
Then I have to scratch his back with a wire hanger
I have a turtle
His name is Skipperdee
He eats raisens and wears sneakers
The Plaza is the only hotel in New York that will allow you to have a turtle

Getting bored is not allowed
Sometimes I comb my hair with a fork
Sometimes I wear my arm in a sling
Sometimes I put a rubber band on the end of my nose
Toe shoes make very good ears
Sometimes I wear them to lunch
Here's what I like to do
Pretend
Sometimes I am a mother with 40 children
Sometimes I am a giant with fire coming out of m hair
Sometimes I get terribly sick and have to be waited on
Sometimes I get so sick my head falls over and is wabbling until it is loose
Then we have to call my mother long distance and charge it
My mother is 30 and has a charge account at Bergdorf's
She wears a 3 1/2 shoe

Oh my Lord
There's so much to do
Tomorrow I think I'll pour a pitcher of water down the mail chute
Oooooooooooooooo I absolutely love The Plaza

2 comments:

laurel said...

I loved reading this today - thanks for the fun memory! It definitely brought a smile to my face!

Dallas and Krista said...

I love this book. I know i have a boy, but we can read Eloise can't we? Memories like that are the ones that make me hope for my own girl to wish that she could be Eloise, just like we did. Love it.