Saturday, December 20, 2008

A new Christmas craft!

Slowly, year by year, I am filling my home with handmade Christmas decorations. As of right now, they're pretty much the only decorations I have! Two years ago I made stockings for Bart and me...

Last year, I made a tree skirt...

And this year, I made an advent calendar! I wanted to make it to match the style of my stockings, so I put little ribbon 'tags' all along the edges and used the same felt as before. Cutting out the numbers and making the button ornaments were labors of love, but I think they turned out really well in the end. Plus, it was really fun and I was able to make a few extras as gifts.


My family always had a felt advent calendar like this growing up, so I wanted to keep the tradition in my family too. It's so fun as children to look forward to hanging up the ornaments one by one until Christmas day. I love the chocolate ones too, so I tried to make the pockets big enough to hold a piece of candy too, that way, there's something extra to look forward to!

I wonder what I should sew next year? I'm thinking maybe sewn ornaments for the tree like these cute little birds!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meriel you are amazing! Will you make all of that stuff for Rob and me also? ;)

Unknown said...

Seriously- you are so talented! I wish I had a tenth of your sewing capabilities! You should sell some stockings!

Sophia said...

I love how the calender turned out. You are a professional, seriously. your stuff is creative, unique, and charming. I am wishing I had your talents. PS we need to get together again SOON!

Cathy said...

I love your homemade stockings, tree skirt and advent calendar! You are so great and creating fun stuff! I might have to copy you! Thanks for the ideas Meriel!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Love your calendar! I've been wanting to make one too. This looks like a great one.

Lance and Becky said...

I love it, I wish I had the creative/crafty talent! You make such amazing things! Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas!

Dallas and Krista said...

I love the calendar! You always do such a nice job with all of your crafts... they don't look homemade like mine always do! Hence, why I just don't bother...