Sunday, August 11, 2013

my top 10 running faves

So, I am by no means an experienced runner with a wealth of knowledge that Runners World is knocking down my door to find out about, but... I figured I would share some of the great running gear I have found as I've gotten into this new hobby/lifestyle.   I am a newbie, but there are a lot of other people who are newbie's too who might be interested in some actually tried and true gear that could work for them too. 

1) Map My Run is what I use to track my running.  It uses google maps to show where you are real-time and at the base level of use, you get told your mph at each mile, distance, and time.  (there's an MVP version that you can pay for monthly that offers more features like coaching and directions, etc.)  I like it more than any other app I've seen because of a few different reasons.  First, it started off as a website, not an app, so the site is fully comprehensive, syncs with your app and any progress you've made while running, and is very user friendly.  You can plan your route ahead of time, search for routes other runners have done in your area, and when you've bookmarked a route to run in the future, you will see it sync to your app immediately.  Second, when you're running there is a voice telling you your stats at each mile and I really like how it tells you your mph for that particular split (or mile) as opposed to your average mph over your whole run thus far.  Way more helpful.  Third, since it's a very popular app it gets updated a lot and overall its very easy to use.


2) You need good training apps if you're going to do any sort of race, but I like the 5k training app even for just 'learning' how to run and getting your body to a place where you can actually run more than a mile without wanting to keel over and die.  I think it's important to follow these kinds of programs so that your body can gradually adjust to running in general and running longer and farther so that you don't hurt yourself and stop running early on because you took it all too fast and developed an injury.  You would not believe the kinds of injuries you can get from training incorrectly!

These apps are my favorite.  They're all from the same company so the interfaces are the same for each, are really easy to use, and help me keep track of when I run, how far, how long, etc.  Plus the 5 and 10k apps have voice cues for when to start and stop running since you are doing a series of run/walk workouts to increase your distance slowly over time.  Super helpful.





3) For running outside, where you have to hold any gear you might take with you - like a phone for your gps app and music - I suggest getting this baby the Level Flipbelt. I've gotten an armband to hold my phone, which is great if you're constantly needing to use the phone/navigate music or check your map or something, but I found that it was bulky and would chafe my arm on long runs.  I also usually know where I'm going ahead of time and set my playlist to music that I don't need to change once I start running, so in truth, the armband is not for me.   I found this at a local running store and it has changed my life!  It's a tight (but not uncomfortable) band that fits around the waist like so, and has a bunch of openings that you can stuff your things into easily.  Like the whole thing is a pocket.  Then you flip it around and voila!  It's pretty awesome.  No zippers, easy to get into without anything falling out, you can move everything around to balance out the weight, it doesn't ride up your waist, basically it's perfect.  Obviously it can't hold your water bottle, but I don't like running with one anyway, so this is perfect for me!! 


4) Good clothes.  I can't afford most good running clothes (lululemon - cough, cough), but I've at least found two things that I have really liked.  Champion yoga pants from Target are fab. They're around ~$30.00 and wear really well.  

5) Also, I sweat around my forehead a lot, so I like this headband right here for $6-10 depending on where you find it.  There are great ones at lululemon too, but they're at least twice the price, so these guys work great for me.  Prana Yoga Headbands. (P.S. they'd be super easy to make, but I'm lazy when it comes to sewing clothes.)  They're really wide, stay in place, and soak up all my sweat.


6) Nike Lunarglides - or whatever medium stability shoe you may or may not need.  The point here, is not everybody can wear their Nike Free's without eventual knee problems.  Some of us less fortunate peeps overpronate.  Wah, wah.  Like I said, there are a zillion ways to injure your body while running.  Who knew?  If you want to run, like a real multiple-times-a-week running habit, do yourself a favor and go to a running store and get checked out for overpronation.

 7) FOAM ROLLERS!!! So I bet you've never even heard of this guy before.  I hadn't and was opened up to a new world when I bought mine!  I'm being dramatic, but I'm dead serious.  When I started running long distances I noticed my IT band really flaring up and my knees would hurt so bad I had to stop running until I got it under control.  It's thanks to the foam roller that I am still able to run.  You move your body up and down on top of it and it's like your own personal deep tissue massage therapist working any part of the body you can manage to roll over it.  No lie, I seriously love this thing.  It hurts like the dickens the first few times you use it, but after a while your muscles loosen up and it's a dream.
8) Honey Stingers (Aka - Stroopwafels, Aka - really yummy belgium caramel waffle cookie) - Once I started running longer distances (6+ miles) I had to start thinking about 'refueling' during my runs.  I went to the running store and they showed me the WALL of options.  I asked the girl what her favorite was, whether it be a goo, chew, or jelly bean, and she pointed these out to me.  I got them and tried it and to my surprise, it was a belgium Stroopwafel packaged and sold as running 'fuel'.  There was literally no difference in ingredients.  Classic!  But they are delicious, easy to digest while running, and if broken in half and put in a little baggie, they're easy to take on runs too.  Yum.



9) A treadmill! - For a mom with kids and a husband who works late, this has absolutely SAVED me.  I can't just leave the house whenever I want so this has been literally the only way I could stay on a training schedule and really develop a good weekly habit.  I get that most people don't have them in their house, but even just to have access to one at a gym is nice for when it's snowing or 100+ outside and you need to stay in to workout.

10) Lastly, this is something I don't have but am going to get eventually.  I wish I had a double stroller, and if I could afford one it would be the BOB double stroller with solid rubber/filled wheels. (an aftermarket feature - it's their one flaw that their tires flatten all the time)  Even the used ones on KSL are expensive, but I will eventually own one of these I promise!





 So anyway, this may or may not have been helpful to you, but it's nice to see your options, right?


No comments: