Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Hobbler Half

For the past 6 months or so I've been training to run my very first half marathon.  I am not a runner or at least I can say no I wasn't a runner until now.  They really call it 'training' for a reason because not only are you training to run 13.1 miles at one time, but you are also training your body to be able to run consistently and actually change your physiology to where your body starts craving the run and exercise.  After about 3 months of consistently running 3-4 times a week I really did begin to crave it.  I was really amazed to feel so different.  My body actually changed.  I did not see that coming.  It's kind of amazing. 

Anyways, this half marathon was awesome.  It was a very steady and slow downhill almost the entire time.  I was really worried about running it without any problems because I injured my IT band about a month ago, but my doctor gave me some cortisone pills that helped a bunch.  I still felt the pain, but it wasn't as bad as usual and I was able to push through it.  Funny thing was I actually hurt my foot (Peroneal Tendonosis) from the whole thing and I haven't really felt my knees hurt since.  Granted I haven't been able to run since (because of the foot thing) so I couldn't really tell you if my knees are all better or not.

Okay, back to the race.  We totally lucked out, it was a gorgeous day, overcast in the morning, not too hot, and no rain.  There were a zillion people running it, so I didn't have to worry about coming in last because I run so slow, 'cause there are always people running slower than you in those big races.  I was mostly just really proud of myself because I was able to run the WHOLE thing.  I didn't walk once (except to get the water/gatorade stuff at the checkpoints).  My motto was slow and steady wins the race and I was totally that person just chugging along.  I was so proud of myself.  I still can't believe I did it. 

Bart and the girls and my mom came to see me finish which made me so excited to finish strong and not like I did on the fourth - a total train wreck of a race.  I wanted Isla to see me running and get excited for her mom.  She was so cute.  They were waiting at the finish line and she ran up to me and held my hand and ran with me across the finish line.  It was such a wonderful mommy moment.  




This was me at the beginning of the race and at the end.  At the beginning I didn't know what to expect of it all and how I would do.  At the end I was just beaming.  It felt pretty darn good.


Needless to say, I will definitely be running another one.  Maybe not this year, but now I know I can do it and I'm pretty happy about that.

1 comment:

Rachel U said...

That's amazing meems!!! you are incredible! inspirational!