Saturday, July 06, 2013

Happy (late) Fourth everyone!

It's Saturday night, and I am still exhausted from the fourth of July.  Our trip up to Huntsville had to be condensed down to wednesday night through friday afternoon so that we could spend more time at home with Bart's mom and family, and of course Macy, so all we had planned for the weekend had to be squished into about a day and a half.  ;)  No complaints here, because it made the fourth a whirlwind of fun activities.  We took Jake up with us too so he could have some fun on the lake and get to see what a real small-town holiday looks like.  Needless to say, he was impressed with Huntsville's gusto.

The morning started off with a run.  I did the 10K as a warm-up race for next week's half.  It didn't go so well, pretty bad actually, but it was definitely a warm-up, so I'm hoping I will fix all my mistakes for next saturday.  I finished though, and that's all that needs to be said about it.

Afterward getting all showered and ready for the day, we had the pancake breakfast and the parade.   I was pretty beat from the run, and the sun came out in full force, so I didn't get any pics.

Post-parade fun was the usual pool-party-jet-ski-stuff-your-face kind of afternoon.  The perfect weather, the perfect food, and the perfect family and friends all around.  

The Freelands came up for the day to hang.  Bryan and Bart had some man-time as evidenced below.

Camilla was enjoying herself.

We swam for hours.  Like literally all afternoon.  Any time we weren't swimming or eating, Dawn and I were inside catching up on So You Think You Can Dance.


Buds.  Can I just tell you I want to cry thinking of them moving in like a month??

And some fireworks in the park at night.  This year we brought Isla along and she was mesmerized by the fireworks and danced her little heart out! 

Don't mind my billowing shirt that makes me look 6 months prego.  I'm not.

It was a successful fourth and such a fun time.  Jake even said the fireworks and the whole day made him want to be a better American.  Huntsville does that to you, I guess.

I leave you with this quote from John Adams to his wife Abigail regarding Independence Day:

"... It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction..."

No comments: