Monday, November 28, 2011

Many Thanks...givings

We have so many things to be thankful for this holiday season.  Our family has grown +1 and we are still in the crazy newborn phase, but nevertheless, I am full of gratitude.  (I am full of hormones too, but you take the good with the bad, right?)

This Thanksgiving, our families were out of town and with a barely 1 month old, we were not about to brave a car ride or plane ride to visit anyone.  I thought at first that we would be stranded and without a good meal to celebrate the day because I am constantly exhausted and would never be able to make a whole dinner by myself, but man were we wrong!  We ended up having 2 thanksgiving dinners!! 

First, Bart's grandma and dad came into town the week before to see the baby and spend some time with us.  Bart and his dad cooked a turkey in the 'Big Easy' roaster/cooker (UH-MAZING!!!!!) and his grandma made us a full thanksgiving meal for us.  It was absolutely delicious and such a fun 'practice' dinner for us.  Plus I got to use my china and set the table so nicely, and that is always a good time. ;)


Then, last week we went up to Huntsville, despite my family being in NYC for the holiday, and had our good friends, the Freelands, up to celebrate with us and stay the weekend.  Dawn and I planned and prepped for our very first thanksgiving dinner!  We divvied up the food assignments and what came out was unreal good.  I mean, we were really impressed with ourselves.  It helped that we were using the tried and true recipes from both our families, and had a fully stocked kitchen, two ovens, and a warming drawer to use for just the four of us, not including babies/toddlers. (All that makes for easy cooking!)  Regardless, we made some dang good eats.  I was really proud of myself too, because I NEVER cook such homemade stuff.  My idea of homemade is a costco-style premade dinner.






Does that not look AMAZING?!! It tasted amazing, that is for sure.  It tasted so good and we had so much of it leftover, that it lasted us for seconds that night, and lunch & dinner on Friday.  And we had such a fun time with Bryan and Dawn.  If you aren't going to be with family for the holidays, be with good friends, right?  

Good times, good times.

1 comment:

Kim said...

looks really yummy!! we miss all of you!!