Monday, March 23, 2009

A brief explanation...

Isla : (eye-luh) Meaning Scottish Island, of no relation to anyone in our family, and the name of a mediocre actress.

A few years ago, I was reading through a Vogue, when I saw a piece done on Isla Fisher in her big screen debut, the Wedding Crashers. I hadn't seen the movie, but I thought that her name was the most original and beautiful name I had ever heard. Some of you may know that my parent's got their inspiration to name me, Meriel, from an actress they happen to see on TV way-back-when named Mariel Hemingway (Ernest Hemingway's granddaughter).  Well, growing up, I always thought it was really funny that I was sort of 'named after' a mediocre actress.  So, when I saw the name I just knew that I would love to be able to share that funny little tradition with my daughter.  

Of course, it's also fun that both names Meriel and Isla mean similar things relating to water and the ocean, it's a family joke that we have Scottish inheritance, (the smallest bit - but we are Crosby's!) and also that Bart LOVES it too!   :)

Anyway, I thought I would explain when I got a comment from my sister thinking that we were going to name our daughter Ilsa - Ill-suh (the leading female in Casablanca) and not Isla - eye-luh.  I guess my daughter and I will also share that she will have to explain all her life how to properly pronounce her name!

7 comments:

Mel said...

I love it! It's beautiful and original and she will be so scrumptious. Congrats on your little girl!

The Lichtie Family said...

Yay, totally found your blog through Christina's! Ok, I have to tell you that I LOVE THAT NAME!!! I told Steve 3 weeks ago that if we were having another girl, I wanted that name. I think it is beautiful - very feminine!

beck said...

Congrats! Love the name!

Dawn said...

I have thought this actress was so cute since I saw her in definitely maybe. I think it is a perfect name for little baby girl Frandsen!

Jenna and Jeff said...

Got it! That is great and a beautiful name!

Cathy said...

Wow! I haven't been in the blog world for a couple of months and see what I've missed???? Congratulations!!! We hadn't heard yet! We're so happy for you both! You will be amazing parents! Yayayayayay!

Lane, Amanda, Jackson, and Andrew said...

Congrats on the baby girl!! We are so excited for you guys. We really need to get together soon!